claire's baby

Tuesday 10 March 2009

The artist in me




I have enjoyed drawing for as long as I can remember.
When I was as young as 4 I remember drawing pictures of people. What makes me a laugh about those drawings were I would forget to draw a body! The arms would lead of the head and so would these long, long, long legs. But the face of the person I was drawing would have so much detail! The eyes were perfect with eyelashes and eyebrows all in place. The chin and cheeks would have little dimples and the lips were full with a touch of a smile. The best bit was the hair. The hair is where I would go wild, my imagination taking over. Curly, short, up or down I did them all. I'm sure as I grow up my teachers and parent fault I would become a hairdresser.

As I grow up I started to enjoy drawing anything Disney. I would copy Minnie mouse, snow white or loin king then stick the drawing all over my wall. It wasn't to I hit my teens and started discovering boys that my drawing started to stop. More and more I was out with friends and less and less the pencil touched my hand! 
Then I got together with the other half of me and we had children. Little G is now 8 and my princess Alice is 6. Alice developed a interest in Art if she wasn't marking and creating something she was drawing! Just like me she drew the people with no bodies. Again she was around 3 at the time. When I pointed out to her that yes her drawings were great but the people had the bodies she asked me to help her by drawing a person so she could copy. Guess what as soon as the pencil touched my hand again I couldn't stop. I remembered how much fun it was. I know draw a lot! Well when time is on my side I do! It's something that so totally distresses you and helps you relax, I'm sure all that love art will tell you that!
I have also been getting my son to give art ago. He has ASD and I believe that art is a great help to children with autism, it helps them express themselves. G draws lots now. His interest is in buses and trains and at the moment that's all he will draw as nothing else interests him. Check out some of his and Alice's art on the art page over at A boy with Aspergers.
For now here are a few of my drawings.

No comments:

Post a Comment